Repairing ZCS Connector for Outlook
You can use the same version of the Zimbra Collaboration Suite Connector for Outlook MSI file to repair the ZCO software on individual computers. When the .msi file is opened after the ZCS Connector for Outlook is installed, it automatically opens with the options to repair the connector or to remove the software.
- Repair will reinstall the software again.
- Remove the Outlook Connector removes all components. Note: you can also remove the ZCS Connector for Outlook from the computer’s Control Panel, Add or Remove directory.
Removing the Connector for Outlook does not remove the profile or .zdb files. Users will need to delete these items manually.
Resolving Mailbox Sync Problems
In the event that a user’s mailbox cannot receive new mail, becomes out-of-sync, or his .zdb file becomes corrupted, you can either:
• Choose to force an initial sync of the user’s mailbox. In order to do this, you can either have the user create another profile, open Outlook, and click Tools>Send/Receive to sync to the Zimbra server.
• Have the user delete the existing .zdb file and then click Tools> Send/Receive. This deletes all data on the user’s computer and recreates the mailbox from the data that is on the Zimbra server, but keeps the same profile.
In some cases, it may be necessary to uninstall the .msi file, delete the profile and zdb file and start over.
Important: When the Zimbra server is restored from a Zimbra backup session, users should delete any .zdb files in folder and resync Outlook to the Zimbra server.
Removing the ZCS Connector for Outlook files
To remove the ZCS Connector from Outlook completely from the computer, delete the .zdb file and the user’s profile, and uninstall the ZCS Connector .msi file.
Note: Users can use the Outlook File>Import/Export feature to save their tasks or other Outlook folders that do not sync with the Zimbra server. The files can be imported back into Outlook.
1.Users must delete the .zdb file.The zdb file includes all the Outlook data from the Zimbra server. The file is usually in the user’s Local Setting\/Application Data\ Microsoft\ Outlook folder. Note: If they cannot see this file, users should change the Folder Options/View to “Show hidden files and folders”.
2.Users must delete their Zimbra profile. If users accept the defaults when they installed the ZCS Connector for Outlook, a profile called Zimbra was created. To delete this file:
a. Open to the Control Panel and select Mail.
b. Click Show Profiles. The General tab lists all the profiles on the computer.
c. Select the Zimbra profile and click Remove.
d. Click OK.
3. Go to the Control Panel, select Add and Remove Programs and remove the ZCS Connector for Outlook program.
Important: If the Connector for Outlook is re-installed and the .zdb file was not deleted, Outlook cannot sync with the Zimbra server, because the Zimbra profile will use the existing .zdb file rather than create a new file.
If the Outlook client is not synchronizing with the Zimbra server or if Outlook is not working correctly, several options are available to troubleshoot the problem.
- Review the user’s Sync Issues mail folder for errors.
- If the initial sync did not work, run the .msi file again and select Repair to see if reinstalling the ZCS Connector to Outlook resolves the problem.
- If Outlook closes unexpectedly, i.e. with the warning “Outlook …needs to close,” generate core dumps for Outlook. Go to the Zimbra Wiki CoreDump page for directions. The core dump shows what Outlook was doing at the time of the crash. This file should be sent to Zimbra support.
- If Outlook is hanging, or behaving strangely, run the Logging Control tool that is installed when the Connector for Outlook was installed. . This file should be sent to Zimbra support.
- Remove the Zimbra Connector for Outlook .msi file, delete the zdb file and the profile, and reinstall.
Reviewing Sync Issues Folders
When ZCS Connector for Outlook is installed, a Sync Issues mail folder with subfolders is created in their mailbox. If errors are found when Outlook syncs with the Zimbra server, message with attachments are automatically added to these folders. Users can tell when messages are in these folders if the folder is bold and the number of unread messages is displayed.
If users are having problems using Outlook and continuously receiving errors, the messages in these folders should be forwarded to sync_issues@ zimbra.com. These messages are created to help Zimbra technical support and engineering debug and fix errors.
Using Logging Control for Troubleshooting
If users encounter problems when logged on to Outlook, you can have them enable the logging control tool to log errors and events that occur while they are using Outlook. This log then can be sent to Zimbra for analysis.
ZCOLogCtl.exe is installed when ZCS Connector for Outlook is installed. This logging control tool is in the \Program files\common files\system\msmapi\1033 directory. When users encounter problems with synchronization, not receiving their mail, system crashes, or other unusual behavior, you should direct users to open this file and enable logging in order to log internal API calls and communication between Outlook and the Zimbra Server. The default log file size is 10 megabytes, but you can increase this when necessary. When the size of the log reaches the limit, the current log is set aside and a second log is created, therefore two logs of up to the maximum log size can be generated.
Important: After enabling logging from the ZCS Outlook Logging Control dialog, users must restart Outlook before errors and event can be logged.
When users restart Outlook, all their activities are logged. Users should attempt to recreate activities that are causing the problems. When the problem has been recreated, send the log files to Zimbra. Open the ZCS Connector for Outlook Logging Control .exe again and click Send Log to Zimbra. Note: The Enable Logging should be unchecked to disable logging when not being used for troubleshooting. If logging is on continuously, performance may be affected. Outlook must be restarted when you make changes with the ZCOLogCtl.exe file.
Finding Previous Outlook Profiles after ZCO Installation
Installing the connector does not remove any email accounts. It creates a separate new mail profile, by default called zimbra, which does not conflict with any existing profiles/accounts. To see existing account profiles, navigate to Start>ControlPanel>Mail>Show Profiles.